Jackman Stroud Vodrey was born on April 18th, 1935 in East Liverpool, Ohio to William Henry Vodrey III and Evelyn Stroud Vodrey. He was educated in the East Liverpool school system and graduated in 1953 from Mercersburg Academy.
He served with the Army in Germany and was honorably discharged as a sergeant. He went on to graduate from Princeton University in 1960 and from the University of Michigan Law School in 1963. Since 1963, Mr. Vodrey has practiced law in the East Liverpool law firm founded by his grandfather, William Henry Vodrey, Jr. (1873 – 1954) in 1897, and then continued by his father, William Henry Vodrey III (1903 – 1979).
Jane Webster Green was born on March 15th, 1935 and reared in Elizabeth, New Jersey, a daughter of Richard Fisher Green and Margaret Webster Green. She graduated from Battin High School in 1953 and from the Newark School of Fine and Industrial Arts in 1956. She lived in Europe off and on before meeting and marrying Jack Vodrey on August 30th, 1958.
After living in both New Jersey and Michigan, the Vodreys returned to East Liverpool in 1963 and moved into the home built by Mr. Vodrey’s grandparents in 1909.
The Vodreys have three children: Sarah Webster Vodrey, Catherine Stroud Vodrey and William Franklin Boyd Vodrey. The Vodreys are also the proud grandparents of Julia, Valerie, Henry, John, Lillian, Ethan and Thomas.
The Vodreys have both been active in a wide range of charitable and community organizations over the years. For Mr. Vodrey, these included the East Liverpool-Fawcett Community Foundation; Little Beaver Creek Wild and Scenic Rivers Council; Riverview Cemetery Association; and the Tri-State Area Citizens’ Scholarship Foundation (better known as Dollars for Scholars®), of which he has served as president since 1985. Additionally, Mr. Vodrey was a member of the Mendelssohn Choir of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania from 1991 to 2003. He served on the Mendelssohn Choir board of trustees as vice-president. Mr. Vodrey was a charter inductee of the Lou Holtz/Upper Ohio Valley Hall of Fame in 1998.
Chief among Mrs. Vodrey’s many community contributions are volunteering at East Liverpool City Hospital, Hospice of the Valley and the Ohio River Art Gallery. The Vodreys are both lifelong Episcopalians and members of St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church in East Liverpool.
This honorarium was established in 2000. It was given in Mr. and Mrs. Vodrey’s honor by their children and their children’s spouses: Sarah W. Vodrey and Jeffrey E. Hendrickson; Catherine S. Vodrey; William F. B. and Susan C. Vodrey.